Creating Inclusive Workplaces for LGBT+ Employees
Sexual orientation and gender identity have long been taboo subjects in Asia, poorly understood and rarely openly discussed in wider society – let alone in the workplace. With strong cultural and social pressures to conform and live up to family expectations, lack of recognition of same-sex partnerships and little legal protections, the LGBT+ community face challenges in many aspects of personal and professional life and many conceal their identity and lead dual lives.
As a thought leader in diversity and inclusion and a champion of change, we at Community Business saw the opportunity to take the lead in raising awareness and educating the corporate sector on this issue. As a result, back in 2008 we embarked on a ‘Creating Inclusive Workplaces for LGBT+ Employees’ Campaign.
Over the last decade or so we have championed the need for greater LGBT+ inclusion, publishing research, providing resources and training, celebrating progress and best practice and advocating for wider social change. Whilst our work extends across Asia – to China, India, Japan and Singapore, our focus has been on Hong Kong and where we have seen the greatest progress and success. Today, this campaign has become firmly part of our ongoing commitment to tackling inequality in the workplace.
- Raise awareness of LGBT+ inclusion as a business issue
- Increase understanding of LGBT+ issues from an Asian perspective
- Encourage and support companies to create inclusive workplaces for their LGBT+ employees in Asia
- Advocate for positive change in wider society
Hong Kong LGBT+ Inclusion Index & Awards
- Hong Kong LGBT+ Inclusion Index - run every 2 years since 2015
- Hong Kong LGBT+ Inclusion Awards - run every year since 2015
- 2017 Hong Kong LGBT+ Inclusion Index Report - Making Progress
- 2015 Hong Kong LGBT Workplace Inclusion Index Report - Making Progress
- Supreme Court's Ruling on S377 - An Obstacle to LGBT Inclusion in India, or an Opportunity?
- The Beginning, Not the End - LGBT in India Post Supreme Court Ruling
- Creating Inclusive Workplaces for LGBT Employees in China
- Creating Inclusive Workplaces for LGBT Employees in India
- Hong Kong LGBT Climate Study 2011-12
- Creating Inclusive Workplaces for LGBT Employees in Hong Kong
LGBT+ Training & Consulting
- Positioning Yourself for Success Workshop Series in 2017/18
- LGBT+ What's It Got To Do With Business?
- Understanding the LGBT+ Landscape in Asia
- FACEs - Understanding the Experiences of LGBT+ Talent
- Creating Inclusive Workplaces for LGBT+ Employees
- Driving Best Practice in LGBT+ Inclusion
- China: Aibai, Shanghai Pride
- Hong Kong: Equal Opportunities Commission, Hong Kong Gay and Lesbian Attorneys (HKGALA) Network, Hong Kong LGBT+ Interbank Forum, Les Peches, Pink Alliance, Planet Ally
- India: Mingle
- Japan: Work With Pride
- Singapore: Oogachaga, Pink Dot
For more information about Creating Inclusive Workplaces for LGBT+ Employees, please get in touch with the team.