Building Disability Confidence
Community Business believes that much needs to be done to overcome the social exclusion of the most disadvantaged in our society and that companies have a key role to play. People with disabilities are a key target group in this respect - often disabled not so much by the impairments themselves but by society’s reaction and treatment of them.
Based on our experience of working with companies in the Asia region, we know that many companies, whilst interested, are hesitant about how to approach the subject of disability in their organisations. Much of the hesitancy about employing disabled people stems from a fear of the unknown and unfounded myths and stereotypes about the capability of disabled people in the workplace.
By focusing our efforts on highlighting the business imperative, changing mindsets and helping companies build their capability to employ and do business with disabled people, we are working with companies in the Asia region to build ‘disability confidence’ – a term borrowed from the Employers’ Forum on Disability in the UK – now known as the Business Disability Forum.
In 2018, this campaign will build on many of the initiatives we have been running since 2008 as well as focus on the sharing of personal stories as a way to showcase the capability of disabled talent.
- Raise the profile of and prioritise disability as a business issue
- Educate companies about key issues relating to disability
- Change mindsets in Asia about the availability and capability of disabled talent
- Encourage and support companies to build disability confidence and remove barriers to inclusion for people with disabilities
- Work in partnership to build the capability of disabled talent
Under this campaign, we have serval resources that are aimed to support companies to remove barriers to inclusion for people with disabilities. These include:
- Asia Disability Toolkit
- Towards Disability Confidence
- Tapping a Pool of Disabled Talent in Hong Kong
- Tapping a Pool of Disabled Talent in India
Every year we promote the International Day of Person's with Disabilities by running events and encouraging companies to use the day as platform for raising awareness and taking positive action
This half day event provided an opportunity for inclusive employers and disabled talent to meet and interact directly with each other. The agenda was particularly designed to help students explore the corporate world, learn from the experiences of ot...
For more information about Building Disability Confidence in the workplace, please get in touch with the team.